Friday, June 17, 2011

Baking Powder Biscuits

These are the baking powder biscuits my mom made while I was growing up.  I made them once several years ago and they were…  well, they were HOCKEY PUCKS.  We couldn’t even bite into them, no kidding!  After that disaster, it took me a few years and a bit of added confidence to try again, with SPECTACULAR results.  Just like mom’s, only better because I can have them ANY. TIME. I. WANT.



Preheat: 450*F
Categories: Bread, Mom’s recipes

2 cups – 4 cups Flour
1 Tablespoon – 2 Tablespoons Baking powder
1 teaspoon – 2 teaspoons Salt
1/4 cup – 1/2 cup Shortening
3/4 cup – 1 1/2 cup Milk


1.  Measure out flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.  Measure out shortening and then cut it in.  “Cutting” in shortening can be done with a fork… but my favorite is a pastry blender.
cutting tool
Just make sure that the shortening is evenly distributed.

2.  Add milk and stir until smooth.  With a doubled recipe, I had to add a handful of flour to get my dough smooth.

3.  Roll out dough to about 1/2 inch.  The dough will rise in the oven…

4.  Cut with a cookie cutter or cut the dough into approximated squares with a knife.  Of course, my favorite shape is a circle.  I have found that using my kids’ plastic drinking cups is the perfect size biscuit.

5.  Bake in a 450* preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.  I almost always have to go the full 12.  Of course all ovens are different!

Eat your biscuits hot, maybe with butter or whipped honey, yum!

p.s. The reason I had an epic fail the first time was.... OLD BAKING POWDER!  Yep, that'll getcha every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment