Monday, June 7, 2010
Best Ever Banana Cake
The last couple of times I baked this cake, I don't think it baked long enough! So today is the last attempt at making this promising recipe, and what do you know, it turned out brilliantly!
Category: Dessert, cake, bananas, PICTURES
1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe (I had four bananas READY for use, so I used all four)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup butter, softened (I accidently left this out! I found it in the microwave when I went to soften the frosting butter!!!! Oops!)
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (I substituted 1 1/2 cups skim milk + 2 t. vinegar, letting it sit for 10 min.)
3 cups flour
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Great and flour a 9x13 pan. Or do like I did, Miss Fancypants herself, and use two 9" circle pans. :) I just sprayed it and it came out just fine.
3. Mix banana with lemon juice; set aside. I didn't bother reading directions. I literally dumped everything in, flour last, and then poured the batter into the pans. But I'll tell you what the recipe says to do just in case.
4. Mix butter and sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
5. Mix in baking soda, salt, flour, alternating with buttermilk.
6. Beat eggs, then add one at a time. Add vanilla.
7. Stir in banana mixture.
10. Frost on a cool cake. I used a sour cream frosting. I wanted to use, as you probably would want to use too, a cream cheese frosting. But we're out of sour cream and are not going shopping until tomorrow. :) Here's the frosting recipe that comes with the cake, in case you're interested: 1/2 cup butter, softened, 8 oz. cream cheese, softened, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 3 1/2 cup powdered or icing sugar.