Thursday, January 27, 2011

Rice

Yes, that's the whole title.  I had a rice maker for maybe a couple of months and the rice turned out AWFUL, and the pot was a terror to clean.  It didn't stay at our house for long, and I continued making yummy rice using a pot with a fitted lid.  Here's how we make our rice--works 100% of the time (unless I forget that I'm making rice and it burns, but we won't talk about that!)

The rice is shown here with one of our favorite chicken dishes, Rockin' Moroccan Chicken.


Preheat: --
Category: Rice

2 cups Water
1 cup Rice
1 teaspoon Butter
1 teaspoon Salt

Optional:
Instead of plain water, use chicken broth instead for a flavorful rice.

Directions
1.  Throw water, rice, butter, and salt into a pot or saucepan that has a tight-fitting lid.  To cook the rice faster, I'll give the mixture a quick stir and turn the heat onto high.  When it starts boiling, I turn the heat down to about a seven, or a medium-high heat.  You know you have the right amount of heat based on how much steam is escaping from the lid...  If you are BILLOWING steam, turn your heat down.  If you can't see ANY steam, turn it up.  You should get a small and steady stream of steam.

2.  Cook until "pock marks" form in the rice.  I have a clear lid...  you DON'T want to remove the lid because it defeats the whole purpose of having steam built up.  To make sure all of the water has absorbed, I tilt the pot to its side. If any liquid is visible, I know the rice needs another couple of minutes and I let it rest.

3.  Serve hot.  Sometimes when the weather is wet (and I live in Snellville, which is in humid Atlanta, so of COURSE it's wet!), I'll just move the cooked rice off of the burner and let it set for 20 minutes while I finish other meal preparation.  The rice retains its heat, and it finishes absorbing any extra heat to make a really nice sticky rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment