This is from my friend Beth, who always has amazing recipes. I wish I had typed this one up before yesterday--I needed it and my recipes were in my bag... that I had left at church the night before! What a ditz! :) I'm happy to have my recipe box back!
Category: Pizza, Dough, Calzones, Breadmaker
1 pkg. Dry yeast
1 1/2 t. Salt
1/2 c. Shortening
2 T. Water
2 1/2 t. Sugar
2 c. Warm water
5 c. Flour I ALWAYS need more!
1. Combine 2T. water, the sugar, and the yeast. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes (so it can get a good head).
2. Mix dry ingredients and then add in shortening. I like to cut the shortening in, but it's not necessary.
3. Mix wet ingredients in with dry. Allow dough to sit for 5-10 minutes.
4. Make balls from one to three inches, depending on the size of calzone you want. Roll out the dough (we love rolling it out super-flat!). Beth recommended to roll them out to a 3 1/2" x 5" rectangle but there's something about the half-moon shape that makes me happy.
5. Place desired ingredients on half of the calzone. Leave a small border for pinching the calzone closed later.
6. Bake until golden brown. This is about 25 minutes. I set the timer for 25 minutes and then keep a close eye on it. I like a deeper golden brown, but that's just me. :)
Ideas for Fillers
If you're making this for the breadmaker, cut the ingredients in half and put them in this order, using the dough cycle. Then go back to following the above directions.
1 c. + 1 T. Water
1/4 c. Shortening
2 1/2 c. Flour
1 1/4 t. Sugar
3/4 t. Salt
1 1/8 t. Dry yeast