Saturday, October 24, 2009

Calzone Dough

This is from my friend Beth, who always has amazing recipes.  I wish I had typed this one up before yesterday--I needed it and my recipes were in my bag... that I had left at church the night before!  What a ditz! :)  I'm happy to have my recipe box back!

Preheat: 400*
Category: Pizza, Dough, Calzones, Breadmaker

1 pkg. Dry yeast
1 1/2 t. Salt
1/2 c. Shortening
2 T. Water
2 1/2 t. Sugar
2 c. Warm water
5 c. Flour I ALWAYS need more!

1.  Combine 2T. water, the sugar, and the yeast.  Allow to sit for about 10 minutes (so it can get a good head).

2.  Mix dry ingredients and then add in shortening.  I like to cut the shortening in, but it's not necessary.

3.  Mix wet ingredients in with dry.  Allow dough to sit for 5-10 minutes.

4.  Make balls from one to three inches, depending on the size of calzone you want.  Roll out the dough (we love rolling it out super-flat!).  Beth recommended to roll them out to a 3 1/2" x 5" rectangle but there's something about the half-moon shape that makes me happy.

5.  Place desired ingredients on half of the calzone.  Leave a small border for pinching the calzone closed later.

6.  Bake until golden brown.  This is about 25 minutes.  I set the timer for 25 minutes and then keep a close eye on it. I like a deeper golden brown, but that's just me.  :)

Ideas for Fillers
Mozzarella
Zucchini
Vidalia onion
Marinara sauce
Rosemary

Tomato sauce
Chicken
Cheese

Pepperoni
Cheese
Sauce
--

If you're making this for the breadmaker, cut the ingredients in half and put them in this order, using the dough cycle.  Then go back to following the above directions.

1 c. +  1 T. Water
1/4 c. Shortening
2 1/2 c. Flour
1 1/4 t. Sugar
3/4 t. Salt
1 1/8 t. Dry yeast

No comments:

Post a Comment